Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Day #51, On my way Home

We had another early wake up in Portsmouth for a 6:00 am breakfast (I cut back a bit) and a 6:45 shuttle to Boston Airport and for a couple of us to the AMTRAK Station. We loaded into three passenger vans and we were off. The Traffic Gods smiled on us today and we missed most of the expected morning backup. We dropped off everyone but Keith and I at the Airport and then "Limo Dave" headed downtown to the AMTRAK station. We were there with plenty of time to spare for my 11:05 train to Washington. I picked up a Patricia Cornwell paperback at a newsstand and something to eat later on the train for lunch. I was soon on my way. When I arrived in Washington, I expected to be met by my brother-in-law Frank who has encouraged my riding and I expect someday to make a similar trip when he retires. As I came through the gate Frank had Peggy and her sister Linda in tow to my surprise. A good homecoming for me. I did have to drive home from the station, having not driven for two months, it felt a little strange, and it took me a while to get up to speed. (I did pass my old workplace at GPO, a new building is going up next door that I had no idea about, someone will have to fill me in on the details) When I arrived at home Peggy had a large map poster with photos to celebrate my accomplishment, and a special cake she had baked. I just heard from Portsmouth Trek that my bike has shipped and should arrive on Thursday, so I won't be off it for very long. Maybe I can get back to spin class for a refresher on Thursday and to catch up with my classmates. Everyone asks what my next adventure will be, I really don't have one in mind yet, but it will be tough to top this one, so I may have to scale things back.

Total Miles 3659.26
Total Hours 247.88
Trip Speed 14.8 mph
P.S. I did lose six pounds while eating like a pig for fifty days, so exercise can work

slide show


No comments:

Post a Comment