Sunday, August 5, 2012

Day #49, Brattleboro VT to Manchester NH

I started the day at 7:00 with another good breakfast at the Holiday Inn in Brattleboro. We loaded luggage at 7:30 and I was on the road a minute later, a mile into the route, I was already in New Hampshire. I was riding alone, so I took a picture of the sign rather than waiting for assistance from the next rider. At last nights Map meeting, I somehow misunderstood how much climbing we were going to be doing today, I thought they said that they had rerouted us to reduce the amount of climbing. I still ended up with over four thousand feet at the end of the day. We passed thru several small towns and villages this morning, most very quiet because it was Sunday, but when I arrived in the town of Greenfield I was serenaded by the Congregational Church carillon. Not far away we had a SAG stop next to the Town Hall in the village of Francestown. Both of these towns are exactly what you imagine a small town in New England looks like. Tonight we are in Manchester, I was here once before in 1997, my daughter Shannon was competing in her very first Junior Olympic Qualifier race and edged out a couple local girls for a spot in the Junior Olympics in Charlotte NC. The kayak slalom race course was downtown on the Merrimack River next to some old mills. 2012 Olympic Slalom Paddler Casey Eichfeld was also competing in that race in 1997 at about age 7.

Tonight is our trip celebration banquet and Ray from London who was injured a couple weeks back and had to leave the trip, has rejoined us for the banquet and at the beach in Portsmouth on Monday.

Total Miles 3606.43
Total Hours 244.32
Trip Speed 14.8 mph

slide show





No comments:

Post a Comment